11.20.2006

Unemployed in Greenland

Whew. It costs a lot to live in Santa Cruz. And health insurance companies won't let you sign up for temporary insurance if you're eligible to be covered by a group plan. And the UC system won't let you opt out unless you've got health insurance through another carrier. That's 550 bucks I could have spent on, you know, food, but maybe I'll get sick or hurt and need to go in to the doctor in the next 3 months. For the first time in 10 years.

My iPod is (still) broke, I left my laptop power supply in the grad lab at school, and I was feeling sort of crossed up about everything (Camus reminds us that "life has no more inherent meaning than a muscle spasm") when I dropped all of the Trader Joe's macaronni on the floor out of the box. Becky and I kind of looked at it for a few seconds, then decided that yeah, we'd get down on the floor, pick it all up, and proceed with the boiling and eating of it for dinner. I think I said something like "so it's come to this, huh?" After dinner I promptly went back to Trader Joe's to resupply the 2-buck Chuck and gin rations. We're hanging on by a thread as it is; let's not tempt fate.

6 comments:

noncoupable said...

It sounds like it might be time for another post-methods festivity. I can host again. I'm not going anywhere for Thanksgiving but all my roommates are.

noncoupable said...

Also, I have signed up for personal health insurance twice using the ehealthinsurance.com website. It isn't great, but the premiums for one person per month range $50-$150 (depending on area + deductible). I don't know if that's any better than the UCSC policy.

the goat said...

Friday night gets my vote, as I will be living it up in the hills(?) of Palo Alto for Thanksgiving. jealous much?

Although, I do feel like I should probably replace the two missing hubcaps on my Geo Metro, lest I get pulled over by the Palo Alto police for not driving a nice enough car.

Adva Ahava said...

Guh...that's really lousy, I'm sorry Chris.

Rachel said...

sounds like a crappy day. recently I had a similar experience with fusilli - dumped half the box on the floor, washed it off, ate it. Apparently, I haven't gotten paid yet because the school admin office switched software. ugh.

Ransom said...

I knew you could buy booze in grocery stores in CA, but I hadn't put it together to hope for anything like being able to get gin at TJ's. I hope that things in general move towards paralleling this one aspect of life (er, though not really just that all things come to be in places where you can get gin).