11.30.2006

Aesthetics

Nietzsche argued that all choices are aesthetic in nature: having no access to empirical truth and trapped in a language of metaphor and allusion, everything we do is predicated on our aesthetic sensibilities. Following my boy Friedrich, I'd like to mention a few of the aesthetics that inform my ongoing decision to remain in graduate school:
  • Coffee (no surprise)
  • Sweaters
  • Scruffy facial hair
  • Foucault
  • Poverty
  • Libraries
  • Academic buzzwords
  • Contemporary Marxian critical theory
  • The bus
  • Not working
  • Being surrounded by brilliant women

4 comments:

noncoupable said...

I concur on Foucault... and coffee.

Adva Ahava said...

Sounds good to me. I am always in favor of coffee, Foucault, libraries, etc...and especially beautiful, intelligent women...

Rachel said...

wow...Santa Cruz must be quite the place. ;) Love the coffee - the woman at my usual coffee place refused to sell me breakfast when I had to use small change (5's and 2's) to pay for it, so now I need to find a new one. Love the melange!

clumsygirl said...

I thought you might be amused by this.