11.10.2006

A Fated Meeting

Yesterday in the bathroom, I was using the facilities when my homie Jamie, also in my program, walked up next to me and started to use them as well. This happens with us a lot; I'll be in there and Jamie will show up out of the blue. Being comfortable, natural, normal guys we struck up a conversation (also as per usual), this time about the definition of a "discursive formation," a phrase that gets tossed around quite a bit in the kind of stuff we have to read. We discussed and debated for a while before concluding that a discursive formation was a singular noun indicating the result, the end-point (albeit temporary) of a discourse about something. Discursive formations are usually contested, of course, and they thus give way after a certain amount of time until new discursive formations arise.

We zipped up, washed our hands, and were on our way.

I related this story to some of the girls in the grab lab a little while later, noting especially the fact that Jamie and I always end up in the bathroom at the same time. My conclusion was that "it's a little homoerotic and a little academic...kind of like me!"

The Jamie-in-the-bathroom phenomenon is funny because my officemate and trusted comrade Matt and I always ended up in the bathroom at the same time at Oregon. I'm glad that there's someone in Santa Cruz to carry on the tradition.

3 comments:

Kungfukitten said...

I think you found your new tagline: "it's a little homoerotic and a little academic...kind of like me!"

Matto said...

Long live good traditions. I payed my respects to the third floor McKenzie facilities just yesterday for the first time in several months. Unfortunately no sheepish profs. joined me.

kungfuramone said...

Well, they didn't want to feel inadequate in your presence, if you catch my drift.