11.08.2006

Facial Hair Debate

I've been rocking the scruff lately. I find that it eliminates the need to shave and it turns out that Becky likes how it looks.

The problem with being a skinny guy with a shaved head is that there's nothing I can do to alter my appearance besides wear different hats and shirts (ergo, I own three different flat caps.) With the scruffy, I have some brand new ZAZ!

More to the point, there's a long-standing connection between academia and beards. I'm 80% certain that growing a really serious Karl Marx beard results in instant fluency in German, but I'm still hesitant (actually, I just wouldn't be able to grow a Marx beard, so the point is moot.)

I've noticed that male faculty at UCSC actually have less facial hair than their counterparts at Oregon, and again, German is the deciding factor. There were no fewer than four male Germanists in history at Oregon, and their predilictions resulted in beards. Here, there is only one Germanist, and even he is clean-shaven. Thus, I conclude that once a critical mass is reached with all of the ES WAR SCHLECTs und LIEBE IST KRIEGs und ICH HABE EINEN GROSSEN STEINs, poof! Beards!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't believe you actually posted that hideous second picture. Dave Barry did a random poll of songs readers hated most, and 'Never Gonna Dance Again' was definitely in the top ten, especially the line, "guilty feet have got no rhythm." My personal most hated? "Last Christmas." The hate - she is a visceral, beastly thing. It crawls up my throat and my fingers itch to destroy the radio.

UO beards - they were all able to pull off facial hair credibly - this is key. If you're patchy - not so good.

Cabiria said...

What do you have to grow if you want to learn French?

Kelly said...

If German fluency is dependent on the beard, I'm sol.

kungfuramone said...

I've been working on the assumption that if one drinks enough wine, one knows French. So far I've just got cirrhosis.

the goat said...

Rachel: not to ccall you out on this, but the title of the song is actually "Careless Whisper." And it's beautiful.