11.03.2006

Adventure in Poverty!

Here's the refrain from my favorite song du jour:

"I can offer you a life...of adventure in poverty! And together we will roam the world! And together we will roam the world! I can give you a life that would not be the same without me! And together we wil roam the world! And together we will roam the world!"
-Billy Nayer Show, "Roam the World"

Becky and I were talking last night before we went to sleep about the state of things. The job market here continues to deliver crushing blows every week. It's really hard. That said, we've still got our 450 sq. foot apartment, we've still got our cupboard full of Trader Joe's groceries, we've still got 11 bottles of 2-buck Chuck racked up by the table.

The most important reason I quit Corporate America back in 2004 was the fact that my life never changed, I just got older. As underpaid as I was, I made so much more money back then than I do now and will do for years to come. And yet here we are, Becky looking for work, us living on some grants and fellowships, and we live pretty much the same way. No new tattoos and no going out to bars, but besides that it's all exactly the same. So we'll stick it out.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

With you on the poverty front. I'm currently scouring the kitchen for leftovers anytime my landlady cooks because I ran out of money a couple weeks ago - stupid bureaucrats haven't cleared my paycheck yet. As annoying as the US is in many ways, bureaucracy there is typically MUCH more efficient than anyone else I've encountered anywhere else I've gone.

I often wonder what kind of people actually feel fulfilled with the house in the burbs, the couple of cars, the neatly growing 401k, and the most dull existence imaginable? So American Beauty-ish. I think my soul would slowly shrivel and die.