11.14.2006

Post on Behalf of my Wife

Becky had two excellent ideas this evening:

First, people should make t-shirts (silk screen, use those iron-on things you can use with a computer printer [side note: those actually work], sharpee on a white t-shirt, whatever) of bands that don't exist. Said t-shirts could draw out hipster confusion ("how could I not know about that band!") and would just be generally entertaining. They'd also give those of us who have always come up with band names without necessarily starting the band an outlet.

Her idea:
  1. A goth band called "Alone in the Dark" (it turns out there's a movie and a video game called that, but she didn't know when she came up with the name.) The t-shirt would be a person silhouetted in a window, with rain streaking down.
My ideas:
  1. A star-gazing cutsey indie pop band called "The Icy Breath of the Reaper." The t-shirt would have the band name in drippy Slayer-album-cover letters with a bunch of bunnies running around on a field of flowers.
  2. A punk band called "Straight to Video" with a kind of Tron-inspired theme picture.
  3. A stoner metal band called "Relentless Warlock" with a huge pile of swords.
Also, Becky just pointed out to me that men are screwed because they can't stand shows like Gilmore Girls. Apparently, men on shows like Gilmore Girls are sometimes extremely romantic. If a guy really wanted to be romantic, he'd have to watch Gilmore Girls and take notes. This raises the bar to nigh-unreachable heights for real-life guys who have no interest in Gilmore Girls and other shows of that genre. I guess I'll just keep doing the dishes and cleaning the bathroom; I'd like to think there's some real-life romance in being the kind of husband that actually does half of the cooking and cleaning.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

In a good half of my classes, I've been asked if I watch that show. I must say that the one time I attempted to do so, I really felt like banging my head against a wall - multiple times. It was horribly cheesy. But then, maybe I'm just a cynic - and I would be ecstatic with half the cooking and cleaning. :) Add in a few flowers and some decent wine... you're doing just fine.

kungfuramone said...

Yes, I'm overdue on flowers. Good point.

Becky F: you would make some kickass fake band shirts. But you knew that.

Elizabeth M. said...

I love coming up with band names! I really think we should actually make the t-shirts. I came up with one yesterday during Beecher's class:
Fletcher Christian and His Band. What better name than an obscure reference to mutiny on the Bounty!

Chrissy said...

This is the best idea I've heard in a very long time! Thats it, I am making a Tornado Yoga t-shirt this weekend!

Yay for Becky!

Chrissy said...

Also, this reminds me of back in the day when my friend Chris F. and I would go through the Mercury and pick out our favorite band names. I never did go see "The Crack City Rockers" or "The Freak Mountain Ramblers" but I sure do love them names!

Serenaded Hourly said...

Is "Straight To Video" a dig at Dan's credible Portland band "Made For TV Movie"? IT IS, ISN'T IT!?

I will not see your reply, so I will invent it for you:

OH, SNAP, Kate. I did not know that.