10.11.2006

Search for a Topic

I can read about history and write about history all night long, but what I can't do is come up with topics for my own research. I research "about modern European intellectual history," but that doesn't really mean anything. Every time I think of a topic, it's really more of a social or cultural history than intellectual; something like how Beauvoir's Second Sex was received in France when it was published, or the history of a specific New Left student movement in the late 60s in Paris. I have to produce a research proposal in the next week or so, so it's time for me to sit down somewhere and think really hard for at least six minutes and come up with something.

I like how italics emphasize. They emphasize all night long.

The problem? The fact that I post these things before I'm done with coffee.

4 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

Maybe talking with your advisor would help? I had something of a direction when I met with Lynn yesterday but after we talked I knew right where I was going with it.

Rachel said...

coffee....my friend...I have to leave my house at 5:45am tomorrow and I couldn't do it without coffee.

I agree with quixote, my direction was essentially no direction until I talked to David. But, you had McCole, so... Viel Spass!

kungfuramone said...

Viel Spass indeed. More to the point, Viel Gluck...

Anonymous said...

I feel you man, and this may lead to a post on my own blog. I've been talking to my advisors, and I'm not sure it's helping. I think I get perspective and I've made up my mind, and then it's back to "what the hell am I doing" when I wake up the next morning.