10.18.2006

Enter the radical

I now join the chorus welcoming Comrade Calderon to the ranks. I think we've got several important flavors of far-left represented on blogger now:
  1. The latin american Maoist.
  2. The stratospherically intelligent academic activist Western Marxist.
  3. And, me. The dopey good-natured social democrat.
  4. Our friend Camille needs to get a blog so that we can have a Trotskyite on the list.
On an unrelated note, here's a familiar pattern: Insomnia, caffeine, dehydration, alcohol. Repeat. Somewhere in there try to read a lot of books and write a lot of responses.

Tomorrow evening I'm joining a group of humanities types to discuss part of the new book by Benedict Anderson, author of the seminal Imagined Communities. I understand that it's the capitalism/anti-capitalism reading group (meeting at the Irish republican pub, appropriately.) It'll be interesting. I can do gender, because gender seems to me to be obvious. Capitalism is hard, because it's so fucking complicated.

I will carry the legacy of this guy with me so that I can feel like I know what I'm talking about.

4 comments:

A said...

Leftie mania! I love it! My thoughts on tomorrow's capitalism/anti-capitalism meeting of minds - I will suffer a quiet and private mental ass kicking by advanced graduate students who really know what the fuck is going on with capitalism/anti-capitalism. This will motivate me to get my shit in gear and read more theory! May the little bit of Marx power I have be with me tomorrow. By the way - GREAT comments on structures and mentalite today!

A said...

A stealth marxist ninja attack awaits us!

kungfuramone said...

Stealth marxist...I think that's what I am.

A said...

You so are! Welcome to the red side!