10.29.2006

Dancing Gangs

The purpose of musical theater is to portray street gangs that do battle primarily in the form of frenetic dance. The best scenario in a good musical theater gang rumble is the "everyone jumps in the air and does the splits" move. The second-best scenario is when the gangs are dressed like they are in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video: lots of leather and tight pants. One gets the impression that the Sharks and the Jets should just throw in the towel and hit the gay bar.

I bring this up because I watched, well, a musical historical comedy about the Declaration of Independence last night with Jeff and Tweak. There were definitely parts that were cringe-worthy, but overall it was pretty fun. I say this because Tweak is sort of a fanatic about early American history, so it's only fair that she's watched this thing a million times. If someone made a musical comedy about postwar French intellectuals, I'd be thrilled.

Especially if there was dancing in tight pants.

8 comments:

Cabiria said...

I really, really feel the need to watch this movie now.

kungfuramone said...

The best parts surround Thomas Jefferson's status as a sex machine. I'm not kidding.

Adva Ahava said...

"Dear Mr. Adams, I am taking my wife back to bed. Kindly go away. Your obediant, T. Jefferson."

I'm glad you had fun. My favorite part of the evening was watching you and Jeff react to some of this...when they started the first song-and-dance number and you had to get more beer immediately, for example.

It was great. Thanks for enjoying '76 with me!

Rachel said...

Beauvoir doing the can-can perhaps? heh.... that's just wrong. :)

Kungfukitten said...

How can you have dancing without tight pants?

kungfuramone said...

Well, there's the kids with the big pants and the hip-hoppin' and the jello pudding...

Rachel said...

Hammer pants! hehe....I wasn't allowed to listen to MC Hammer because his music was "bad" - originally, "bad" meant that the content/background of singer would be a bad influence, but I think that I'll just go with plain bad and leave it at that.

kungfuramone said...

Ironically, MC Hammer is now a full-time evangelist...