1.05.2007

With the Spinning and the Hurting and the Kicking

I passed my French translation exam. I had to do a nasty passage by Sartre and a slightly less nasty passage by Beauvoir. I was dreading the test; my adviser administers the French exams and his French is comparable to that of any random member of the Acadamie Française. I screwed up a few things, but he was satisfied overall.

On the one hand, I'm relieved. Language exams in the humanities are a nasty hoop everyone has to get through, and since 9/10 of us grew up monoglots and didn't attend to our language studies more seriously as undergrads, they suck. On the other, it would have been pretty pathetic if I'd failed. I, you know, based a 120-something page Master's thesis on French sources that I ostensibly understood.

In other news, our homies Sarah-Jane and Dave are spending tomorrow evening with us, which promises to involve burgers and beer. Nous allons!

5 comments:

another kind of nerd said...

Congrats!... again! You'll be an old hand at these french tests soon.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, totally. I wonder how many of these things I'll have to take before I'm DEED (pronounced with the Scottish-dad accent from So I Married an Axe Murderer.)

Cabiria said...

Well done! My word verification for this was "qpiqat" -- cute!

Dolce Vita said...

Félicitations pour ta réussite!

Rachel said...

yeah, felicitations... :) I'm going to take a French refresher course here in Austria before I go back to get my cert this fall. I'm finishing my French minor so we'll see how that goes after three years of essentially nada. Congrats!!