1.21.2007

Karl Marx: Crackin' Wise

"Let us now accompany the owner of some commodity, say our old friend the linen weaver, to the scene of action, the market. His commodity, 20 yards of linen, has a definite price, 2 pounds. He exchanges it for the 2 pounds, and then, being a man of the old school, he parts for the 2 pounds in return for a family Bible of the same price."
-Marx, Capital I, Penguin Classics Edition, p. 199

Belive me, the above counts as high comedy when you're halfway through reading 100 pages of the decidedly old-school Das Kapital.

On an unrelated note, last night's history grad student outing to the Poet + Patriot Irish pub was a resounding success. I was especially pleased by the fact that the 4th-year kids, many of whom are now actively working on their dissertations, and the 1st-year kids, many of whom have no idea what their dissertation topics are going to be as yet, all got to hang out and drink beers. The tables we were sitting were so sexy by the time we left that I'm fairly certain the bartenders were impregnated via proximity.

3 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

Yeah, last night was awesome, even with my coaster-shredding habit. I like that I didn't even notice that I was shredding the first one. Then I realized I wanted more afterward. Oy. But don't worry, because believe it or not, there's madness to my method: I'm actually a hamster, and I was trying to build myself a nest.

Rachel said...

dude... you need to get out more. props for reading das kapital. I would definitely be tackling that beast in English. :)

kungfuramone said...

Tweak: sleep well, sleep well, on your neurotic nest of beer labels and beer coasters.

Rachel: no, no, I'm reading it in English. For some reason people respond better to calling it "Das Kapital" than "Capital." I try not to switch back and forth between translated and non-translated when I'm talking about books, so this counts as a goof.