1.16.2007

So That's What College is Like

It's interesting to take classes outside of one's discipline. My History of Consciousness class on Marx met for the first official time yesterday (the booze-up at the prof's house on Friday didn't count) and I'll say this: the level of discourse was elevated, the grasp of theory was tight, and the reprimands for misrepresenting Hegel were stern. I imagine that my experience in this class this term will be similar to what it's like to be a lit student or a philosophy student at a big school. It also reminded me of the kind of discussions the people I study had during their university careers; do you really know what Hegel meant? But what does it mean?! These are questions that Simone and Jean-Paul really really gave a shit about.

I also re-learned some things:
  1. Lit students are hipper than history students, but less friendly.
  2. Never, NEVER let your caffeine levels drop below normal when you have to talk intelligently about dialectics for three hours.
  3. No grad-level class should start before 9:30am or end after 4:00pm. Both of my seminars violate this principle this term, at opposite ends of the day.
What I really want to do is skip the undergrad lecture I'm supposed to go to, go home, and play video games. Instead, I will read Capital until the undergrad lecture I'm supposed to go to starts.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

elevated discourse - good. Rest - blech.