1.29.2007

Requisites

Here's a list of requisite academic character traits that bug me:
  1. Going over class time. You know five languages but you can't tell time?
  2. Not answering e-mail.
  3. Answering e-mail in such a way that the fact that you never read my e-mail is obvious.
  4. Long verbal lists of books I should read or, worse, authors I should read. I won't remember. Because you're talking to me and I can't memorize twenty books names on the fly.
  5. Treating graduate teaching assistants as ugly mules to be worked to death (haven't had to deal with that at UCSC...yet.)
  6. An inverse relationship of scholarly knowledge to social skills.
  7. Never shutting up.
  8. (Related to #7) confusion as to the difference between soliloquy and discussion. Hint: the latter involves other people in the room speaking.
That's all I've got at the moment. I bring this up because I worry that the fact that I don't think I suffer from any of the above afflictions actually means that I'll never be able to hack it.

Side note: I hate Tuesdays. Here comes another one.

5 comments:

Alexis said...

Subway thing that bugs me:

1) I can hear your music dude. And I can't tune it out. This whole car can hear "to the window/ to the wall" now. I can see that you're mildly retarded from something about your skull formation and how you couldn't shave your face remotely evenly. I know I should just feel overwhelming gratefullness that I have the many many blessings I have. But I also have a headache and your music is making me crazy. And now I think I'll probably be punished somehow for the mean mean thoughts in my head. Thanks a lot.

Can you turn this into a haiku?

another kind of nerd said...

Sir, a correction... =] your second use of books in the "Long verbal lists" needs to be possessive as you are refering to the books' titles...

Additionally, you need to work on memorizing those titles as I'm convinced my inability to do so demonstrated my complete and utter "lack of desire."

Word Verification of the Day: hutfa
wtf

Alexis said...

That is very gratifying. Thank you.

Rachel said...

speaking of lack of social skills, my favorite couple from the alma mater are now here in Vienna "en famille" (not my line, his...geez). My old German teacher (since he's teaching at the same program I came here with) suggested we go have coffee. I have thus far ignored this suggestion. I think I will continue to do so. Happy further haiku-ing!!

Cabiria said...

I figure at some point they'll realize they've repeated the same list of twenty authors in ten seconds to me at least a hundred times before and just stop out of exhaustion. Then I will have WON. Or, lost. Yeah, I feel you.