5.26.2008

Rock Report '08

We've had the kind of weekend that makes you really tired when you're older than 25. Happily, it's a federal holiday, so I got to sleep in until after 8:30am again and I don't need to try to drag my ass up to campus until tomorrow. I have a few items to report on:


Item One!!! We saw our friends Ashtray play a fabulous show for an adorably all-ages crowd (little tiny punks! Like spikey little stuffed animals they were!) in Petaluma on Saturday night. I picked up my homie D on my shoulders and jumped around with him while he was singing, which was fun at the time but which had repercussions starting about an hour later.* Then we hit this amazing bar full of deer heads and funny old people and, get this, a 70-something brother-sister combo playing accordions and singing! In the bar! It was outstanding.

Item Two!!! Then we saw the Phenomenauts, who were headlining. And the thing is...I don't know. As our homie T pointed out, they're very Disney Channel. I appreciate the kind of polished, put-together thing with synchronized dance moves and matching outfits, but there's a line in the sand over which your kind of ironic, goofy schtick ends up looking like a Target commercial.** They sounded fine, but we bailed after a few songs anyway and headed back to San Francisco to crash at S+T's awesome pad.


Item Three!!! I have a dope new vintage leather jacket. I got it to try to blend in once I'm in Paris. Here I am wearing my new jacket, enjoying a soothing beverage and checking out some light reading.

Item Four!!! Our homies K and L came over last night for wine and delicious grilled meats before we went out and watched the new Indiana Jones movie. It was good. I recommend smuggling some vodka into the theater with you in a Nalgene bottle and mixing it with a soft drink in the bathroom, but even if you don't do that, you'll have a good time as long as you know exactly what you're there to see: a nicely made B-movie. Also, Cate Blanchett looks H-O-T-T with short dark hair, which is reason enough to check it out.

Finally, we made it home, B hit the sack, and I watched a rerun of Deadliest Catch and did the dishes.

Happy long weekend, tout le monde!

* D weighs at least 200 pounds. I didn't think about that before I scooped him up and started hopping about. My back informed me later.
** I should note that the obvious progenitors of Phenomenauts-style music, Devo, did indeed sell a song to Target a few years ago.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

I love the pairing of the vintage leather with the Motorhead shirt. Nicely done!

kungfuramone said...

Yeah...I don't think that particular combo will make it to Paris. But I'm glad it works stateside, anyway. :]