5.05.2008

My Eye is Rotting Out of My Skull

Seriously. I've had this sty in my eye for about five months ago. The incompetent serfs at the health center told me to use a "hot compress" on it. I did, for weeks, which accomplished precisely nothing. These are the same people who told me to treat a wart on my hand with duct tape last year.*

It's one week until my qualifying exam. Having turned in my dossier, i.e. all of the written material, some two weeks ago, I haven't had a whole lot to do with it since then. I guess I'll re-read my own field statement a couple of times and try to memorize some people, places, and things.**

My homie Tweak showed me this rad website the other week: Cute Otters.

I applied for money for France. I'm too confused to find any big national (or regional, or what-have-you) grants at the moment, so I restricted my applications to university and departmental ones. If I get any, it would be rad because I could afford crepes and housing in Paris. Oh, speaking of affording things in Paris, it turns out that the European middle class is screwed, too! So much for progress and prosperity, everyone!

* That didn't work either.
** We're just whores for nouns in history.

6 comments:

Becky said...

i'm not sure how much of a hippie you are willing to be, but you might try homeopathic silica for a couple of weeks. that is what they suggested for jack's weird eye lump.
also, i am so incredibly jealous of you and paris. i mean, not the whole work/research part of it, i am not so good at that. but the crepes part...

Kelly said...

It's caused by staph, it's an infection and you've had it for 5 months - maybe it's time to ask for antibiotics? Either in pill or topical form?

The clinic here is one of the many reasons I would NEVER get pregnant on our grad insurance plan. It took them 2 months to figure out something for Luke and they kept telling Peter than his cancer was "vocal nodes".

kungfuramone said...

They really are the biggest bunch of retards in the whole wide world.

Group of owls: "parliament" of owls.
Group of otters: "raft" of otters.
Group of crows: "murder" of crows.

Group of retards: "field trip" of retards.

The health center here is a field trip of retards.

SuperJew said...

Sorry to hear about your sty comrade. Sounds like the health folks there are about as useful as ducktape on a wart. Boo. I love the otter site! Especially the momma and baby otter...soooooo cute!

Dolce Vita said...

Have you considered that your persistent ailment might just be stress related? When I was preparing for comps I developed a rash on the top of my fingers between the second and third joints. It was random. And the (more reliable) health service I went to was unable to make it go away. I had it for eight months, took my exams and it went away. (Although, now I suffer from other ailments - see my recent post.) And we wouldn't be alone in this if it is stress related (and related to the fact that you have to use your eyes to do your very stressful work). Look at the comments to my post for company.

noncoupable said...

Get an off-campus referral. Yes, it will cost you some $, but less than if you didn't have the GHIP. (I had a to get a chest x ray for Taiwan and did that off-campus.)

The clinic is nuts but hey it's free for us so what do you expect. Taiwan costs me $ every time I go (not much but still) and I think they're worse. Maybe you should wait til France, ha.

PS The street next to the metro stop Edgar Quinet (near Montparanasse) has the best crepes in all different kinds for good prices... the alcohol there is especially cheap and tasty (red wine and cidre in carafes of different sizes)