8.31.2007

One: What's Wrong with Academia

So I had a meeting with a prof at 11:00am. I'm a full-time employee elsewhere on campus right now, so I took my 30-minute legally-mandated lunch and ran down to the prof's office. He wasn't there. I waited a few minutes, gave up, and left a note. A little while later, I got a pissy e-mail from him saying he was "disappointed" that I didn't wait longer and that we really have to meet. AHEM: I AM A FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE ELSEWHERE AND I HAD TO WASTE MY LUNCH BREAK JUST TRYING TO MEET WITH HIM.

I'm not going to waste my breath on this one. One thing that's wrong with academia is this: spoiled, immature people who are used to getting their way casting about recriminations. Usually I'm very good at avoiding this kind of thing, but this time my luck ran out.

Edit: I have conceived a plan most cunning: Knowing what I know about said prof, I think it likely that if I were to put something shiny on the ground in a spot he would be likely to see it (outside the Cowell coffee shop or, possibly, in front of his office....LATE), he would become distracted and forget the whole thing. Tweak suggested a shiny new penny.

4 comments:

FOSCO said...

Here's a good thing about being a grad student: it's a brotherhood/sisterhood. Tell me the professor's name and I'll key his car.

kungfuramone said...

Tempting...tempting...TEMPTING>>>>>>>

Unknown said...

I am so glad for the sake of my career that I was not on the receiving end of that email. Chances are, I would have responded without thinking.

There is so much more that I realize now I should not say. I will stop here. Hooray discipline!

and hooray kfr, for having so much more of it!

Rachel said...

that happened to me a couple of times at our mutual school. Absent-mindedness isn't a very good excuse, because it shows that the person you're meeting with considers your appointment so unimportant that they easily forgot about it. And, behavior like that would never wash in the 'real world.' :) But that's the lure of academia, right?