8.22.2007

Post-Patience

What happens when you "run out of patience"? It's kind of a dumb phrase. Most of the time, there's no recourse. The only thing you can do is try to avoid patience-sapping situations...and good luck with that, sport.

Speaking of, the parts of my new computer showed up last weekend. I happily slapped it all together the other night and promptly ran into the inevitable thing-that-doesn't-work. This time (it's always something w/ PC hardware), the BIOS doesn't recognize the IDE devices. Since the IDE devices in this case are my CD and DVD drives, and since I need those to install little details like the operating system, I'm stuck until I can fix it.

I did all of the predictable stuff: swapping cables, checking jumper settings, trying different connections, to no avail. When I head home tonight, we're on to compu-chicken dance shit. This is the part where the computer guy has no real idea of what's going on, just what's wrong, so he (or she!) shakes some rubber chickens at the machine and unplugs and replugs everything and updates all kinds of totally tertiary software and hopes that something magically fixes it. BIOS update and CMOS reset, here I come...

6 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Ahem: got screwed. Never buy a Biostar motherboard. If you buy something from newegg.com, keep the packing materials or you can't ship it back for the refund. That is all.

hardcori said...

Dude. That is so wrong.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah...I'm getting a little sick of "learning lessons" this summer. I'd like to have a lesson-learning-free month or two.

Ransom said...

Who the frick builds motherboards that wind up incapable of finding IDE devices at this point!?

I say no. I hope it was spectacularly cheap. And that you have success soonly. I don't know if the name of another vendor that sucks even counts as a lesson per se. It's not wisdom, it's not a principle. It's just something you either have found out or haven't and it sucks if you haven't (and it sucks that you did).

Anonymous said...

i can't read and would appreciate more pictures.

kungfuramone said...

Right. More pictures en route!