3.28.2007

Squirrels Gone Wild

It's Spring Break - take off your top. Hat. Do it, Abe Lincoln.

The "storm" that swept through Santa Cruz was as unimpressive as I knew it would be, although it was pretty windy yesterday. The sun was conducive to being on tour-guide duty, though, so whatever. Becky and I had a good time showing my mom, stepdad, and brother around SC. We ate burgers and pizza, drank a lot of Fat Tire, and played some rousing games of Ticket to Ride. We stopped by the bunker on the early part of my UCSC tour and discovered that A. There was a whole bunch of fancy new furniture and B. There was a whole bunch of fancy grad students working over the break.

So, perceptions. You know how every tinhorn atheist is a would-be Buddhist? It's because, first of all, we atheists of a cranky sort already think that Life Is Suffering and it's nice to hear someone famous say so, and (second of all), it seems to make sense that if we could just change our perceptions we'd be better off. I know I can't stop myself from hearing at night, but if I could stop caring about the sounds, I could sleep. I can't stop myself from needing to fly sometimes, but if I could stop worrying about plummeting to my fiery death, I'd be happier doing it. Etc. Here's me wishing it was a lot easier. I'm totally too busy to go to Nepal.

I miss everyone at school. That's the kind of dork/social whore I am. On the up side, Becky has a long weekend starting on Friday, so we get to have a little mini-spring break for the two of us. Off come the tops (hats).

2 comments:

Alexis said...

I'd have liked the 20's. May you live in drunk interesting times. 40's - May you live in crisply tailored times. One of my deep burning desires is exactitude of tailoring around the bust waist and hips... 2007-wise I'm falling in love with the magic of technology and information and synthesis, but they should stop with the cinched cotton sacks over leggings. And I don't even want to talk about flat boots Robin Hood. This is what your post was about right?

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, exactly, fashion. It was once routine, even for working class kids in the London suburbs, to get their pants tailored! What has happened to us, that women wear those stupid tunic shirts and men wear their polo-shirt collars up again?!

I was talking about *clothes*, obviously.