3.08.2007

Ich Bin Ein Shitty Grad Student

I'm pretty sure that there's an inverse relationship between watching and enjoying America's Next Top Model and being a good grad student. Yet there I was, kicking back on the Ikea couch with Becky and a bottle of Chuck, laughing and laughing as the contestants called their parents crying because the other girls in the house were so mean to them. Here are other things that make me a lousy grad student:
  • No work after 6pm.
  • No gettin' up before 7:30am if I can help it.
  • With the drinking on weeknights.
  • I think monographs are boring.
However, I now refuse to watch Survivor. That's probably why I got into a PhD program in the first place.

8 comments:

another kind of nerd said...

KFR. You are not a bad graduate student. You simply have priorities and a life. Things, I might add, which also indicate a healthy ability to communicate with others... something sadly lacking in people of the Academe.

Adva Ahava said...

So, if I want to be a good grad student like you, I should watch America's Next Top Model and drink?

You got it, boss!

P.S.: My friend Christopher just informed me that that America's Next Top Model is a twisted exmaple of performativity because they're creating what they're seeking in the process of seeking.
...awesome.

Rachel said...

Germany's Next Top Model by Heidi Klum is better than Tyra's show, i think, mainly because Tyra gives me the heebie-jeebies and I like Seal. But, the girls are just as whiny and cutesy, and I can say that my German has improved to the point that I can be revolted by what they say half the time in their fakey "I'm an entitled pretty girl" way - I'm seeing this as excellent progress. :) Ditto to E - that's the reason you got that teaching award, I think - you come off as HUMAN, something many of them won't ever quite accomplish.

kungfuramone said...

Thanks for the votes of confidence.

I just wish Janice was still on the judging panel...she was CERTIFIABLE.

Also, I think Tyra is cool. And Miss Jay.

Cabiria said...

I think your reaction that monographs are boring makes you a good grad student. If you found them fascinating, I'd be worried. As it is, it just means you'll write something that more than twelve people will read!

Chrissy said...

yes, but did you see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk5GvdI5v0o

Ha! Dream big!

pulpshopgirl said...

Miss Jay is the best, but Nigel gets bonus points because I want to make out with him. KFR I had no idea you watch ANTM. How exciting.

ninjahq said...

..... you.. you've been watching ANTM? Oh my god. Chris. This kills me that this has happened and we don't live in the same town!!