12.04.2006

School (of fishes) Parliament (of owls)

Murder (of crows)...so many good group-names in biology. I bring this up because an elite cadre of history grad students are starting a semi-formal Foucault reading group next term and while outlining the readings and getting our ducks in a row earlier we realized that, with a little luck, we'll someday be referred to as the "Santa Cruz school" (of thought, of theory, of nap-taking, whatever.) Whether or not that happens, we now have a Foucault website to which we shall post when we get rolling next term.

On an unrelated note, my homie Elizabeth has a husband, and her husband does remarkable artwork. Go check it out; his comics are really neat.

Here are two unsolicited haiku:

Dearest Santa Cruz:
Please offer my wife a job
Or I'll beat your ass.

Happy holidays
I got you several hugs
Oh wait, I need those

3 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

Indeed, Nick's artwork has already provided several hours of quality procrastination on my part, soon after Elizabeth created her blog. Maybe we should use it to decorate the new grad lab *sigh*

Will be sending Becky many mental "good vibes" tomorrow.

Santa Cruz schoool of nap-taking sounds lovely. I'll deliver a brilliant disseration on impromptu cubicle naps at our next conference, k?

Rachel said...

I spent two months trying to find a job in Eugene when I first moved there. When I finally gave in and filled out applications at fast food joints, I got a decent job. It was like the universe felt sorry for me. Has Becky tried groveling at the feet of the universe yet? Good luck to her. :)

A said...

Good Luck Becky! - today you are a super hero armed with the powers of persuasion. They will be calling you in no time!