12.15.2006

Rock Your Nostalgia

I went up to campus earlier and soaked up the no-students ambience while picking up some books from the library. I called my homie Cori while waiting for the bus and we shot the shit for a while. A few months ago Cori joined the ranks of the beautiful people I know living in Portland and now she, too, gets to enjoy the reasonable cost of living, the many scenic bridges, the many fun bars. I've been warming up to SC, but I will never stop missing Portland.

Fortified by the conversation, I decided that the best thing to do was to sit around and listen to the Murder City Devils and drink coffee and think deep thoughts about getting older and missing all of my old friends. Naturally, I haven't reached any useful conclusions, but I'm still having fun (in a perverse, half-assed self-pitying way, obviously.)

Becky and I aren't sure what we're going to do in a few years. If she gets a career going here and we're happy, I'll finish the PHD and break dance on street corners for money (or, you know, teach at a community college.) If we're both at a loose end and I can't get a tenure-track position somewhere (likely not), we may well head back north. In the meantime I'll hang out with my new homies here and read more books, drink more coffee, and get even balder.

2 comments:

Matto said...

Kungfuramone, only the excellence of your increasing baldness and well shaped head can convince me that going bald might really be a fun adventure. Thanks for paving the way down a path I may one day have to tread.

Elizabeth M. said...

I hope you stay in the cruz. We can be a breakdancing team on the street corner. I'll carry the boombox on my shoulder and wear a bandana on my forehead.