1.14.2008

Two Things from the News

...but enough about Zoidberg. Here are two things I read today that pissed me off:

First, Stanley Fish's bad idea editorial, part II, in which he tries to undermine every imaginable argument for the existence of the humanities in academia. Speaking as a wizened insider (he teaches English), Fish claims that the usual arguments about enriching culture and expanding critical thinking skills people credit the humanities with in universities are nonsense. Art enriches culture, he claims, not people theorizing about art. Likewise, he says that all branches of learning improve thinking skills (he doesn't like the term critical thinking, since it seems the same to him as just plain thinking.) Where the sciences produce things people can use, humanities departments just produce theories they can use to keep momentum going and funding coming in.

I have two big problems with this editorial. First, it's disingenuous for someone who ostensibly knows what he's doing in the humanities to provide argumentative ammunition for people who don't and who simply dismiss the thing as useless. Fish glibly skips over arguments in favor of the humanities by, essentially, playing the qualitative vs. quantitative game: you can count inventions and vaccines, but you can't count the times someone didn't do something stupid and destructive because they learned a lesson from history or considered the humanity of someone they were planning on hurting.*

Second, and more importantly, I resent that Fish draws an absolute divide between research and teaching. All of the innovations of thought that have occurred in the humanities in the last fifty years (consider race and gender theory, just to name two very important examples) arose from research of various kinds and entered into curriculum. Teachers teach what they know, including the insights they glean from reading the insider work of other people in their fields. There is a reason that kids now are exposed to a lot more history and literature about and written by people that aren't dead white guys: research about the lives of the majority of humanity that aren't and weren't white and male made its way to the classroom because it was logically compelling and well-argued by various researchers in the humanities.

Oh, and second-and-a-half, it's completely asinine to claim that the neocons wouldn't have done anything differently if they'd read more and read better before the invasion of Iraq. I buy that they failed to learn the lessons of the Vietnam War, but I don't buy for a second that the major decision-makers really knew a damn thing about middle eastern history, least of all the British occupation of Iraq in the early twentieth century (which didn't work, either.)

The other thing that irritated me in the news today was the Forbes piece on the best and worst paying jobs in the US. I didn't mind the article itself, which was pretty neutral and straightforward. It just made me choke a bit re-reading the mean income of US workers: $39,190. Even if we accept that almost 40K a year is pretty damn good by global standards, it's minuscule compared to home prices, even while they're "falling precipitously." I honestly don't understand why so much attention is paid in the mainstream media to things like consumer confidence and so little is paid to income. Now that there's compelling evidence that the US has gotten bloody close to the end of its credit limits (i.e. the mortgage crisis as evidence of what happens when the entire economy is based on borrowing without the ability to ever pay back), will anyone start paying attention to what people actually earn as opposed to borrow? I doubt it.

Save 300 workers: gut a CEO with some hedge clippers and distribute his income.

* My point here is that, I think, the humanities teach people not to do stupid, destructive things, and you can't count what someone doesn't do because you have no idea that they didn't do it. Are we clear?!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I agree, Fish is a douchebag.

Leah said...

Amen! (or other phrase of agreement without religious connotation)

another kind of nerd said...

Ha! I remember reading part I of this riff-raff and think to myself, "who is this ass hat?"

kungfuramone said...

The NY Times seems to have a strict policy of only hiring old snotty asshats with major academic credentials to write op-ed pieces...

And, like Mo to the Three Stooges, Fish is their leader.

Adam said...

I read in the paper a while ago that in a survay of CEOs 2/3 of them said they were over paid. Only 1/2 said their leadership style was effective and only 1/3 of workers agreed.

Chrissy said...

well, at least two people were paying attention and thier names were Ben and Jerry. Sadly, they too have turned a blind eye to the subject:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C01EFD71E3AF937A25755C0A962958260

the rambler said...

please sign me up for the CEO gutting

Emily said...

There have always been some who did pay attention to history, just not enough to make a difference when people are clamoring for war. General Matthew Ridgway, who advised Ike not to go into Dienbienphu (Vietnam) said of his 1954 decision not to intervene in Indochina: "The land was a land of rice paddy and jungle--particularly adapted to guerilla-type warfare at which the Chinese soldier is a master... We could have fought in Indochina. We could have won, if we had been willing to pay the tremendous cost in men and money that such intervention would have required--a cost that in my opinion would have eventually been as great as, or greater than, that we paid in Korea.... When the day comes for me to meet my Maker and account for my actions, the thing I would be most humbly proud of was the fact that I fought against, and perhaps contributed to preventing, the carrying-out of some hare-brained tactical schemes which would have cost the lives of thousands of men. To the list of tragic accidents that fortunately never happened I would add the Indo-China intervention." This quote is from his 1955 memoir. Sorry to give such a long quote-- I just recently lectured on Vietnam myself so its fresh in my mind. I don't know what the answer is-- historians have to be good for something more than just saying "I told you so," right?

Emily said...

oh and, I take issue with pretty much anything Stanley Fish says. His NYTimes writings are pretty much calculated to drive me insane.