1.21.2008

Long Haul, Good Songs

So B is hanging in there. Much to our shared chagrin, the real problem has been the antibiotics, not the pain. She's on day 5 of a 5-day antibiotic assault meant to prevent infection in the transplanted tissue. In turn, the antibiotics make her really, really nauseous for several hours a day. That makes it hard for her to eat, which makes it hard for her to take painkillers, which makes everything suck even more.

Happily, this is the last day she has to take an antibiotic and we both have high hopes that she'll be over the hump as of tomorrow.

In unrelated news, I recently purchased the new Magnetic Fields album. It is awesome, like just about everything that guy has ever done. Here are the lyrics to my favorite song, which is definitely going on my "welcome to the inside of my head '08" mix I'm making.*

California Girls
See them on their big bright screen
tan and blonde and seventeen
Eating nonfood keeps them mean
but they're young forever
If they must grow up
they marry dukes and earls
I hate California girls

They ain't broke, so they put on airs,
the faux folks sans derrieres
They breathe coke and have affairs
with each passing rock star
They come on like squares
then get off like squirrels
I hate California girls

Looking down their perfect noses
at me and my kind
do they think we won't
well, never mind

Laughing through their perfect teeth
at everyone I know
do they think we won't
Get up and go?

So
I have planned my grand attacks
I will stand behind their backs
with my brand-new battle ax
Then they will they taste my wrath
They will hear me say
as the pavement whirls
"I hate California girls..."

* I try to do these every once in a while. Most come up short, but I did produce a mix back in about '03 when I was in the thick of corporate IT that still holds up. The trick is finding songs that not only rock out, but accurately reflect some nasty little corner of one's psyche.

3 comments:

kungfuramone said...

i *KNOW*!!!

Matto said...

People really should employ the terms "battle ax" and "pavement whirls" in their lyrics more often.

kungfuramone said...

I should have pointed out that the song is a soft, bubbly power-pop song. That makes the battle ax reference all the better!