1.27.2008

This Charming Fellow

Here's the guy I'm writing my dissertation about: André Gorz.* Here's what I'm not saying in my research prospectus or grant/fellowship proposals: I'm writing about him for exactly two reasons. And they are:
  1. I can do most of the research here in SC. He published a lot and it's available in the UC library system and/or Worldcat.**
  2. I admire him. He was a radical philosopher and journalist, but he wasn't at all dogmatic or pig-headed, unlike some people he knew and worked with.
Today I wrote my research proposal (or, at least, a draft thereof), read a book about the French Revolution, graded a mess of quizzes, worked out, made dinner, and drank some gin and some wine. I'm not sure I have it in me to clean the bathroom, which was supposed to be the grand finale to this exciting day.

We had C and Tweak/J over for drinks and one of the top 3 funniest movies ever made last night, which was fun. The wee one drank her gin and tonic a little too fast, but she managed not to fall over, so all was well.

I'm wearing my commie hat to section tomorrow. Time to fly the colors.

* Along with his wife. They had one of those love-of-the-era kind of marriages. Like Princess Bride, you know?
** For a few reasons. My French still sucks. The Euro is 100 to the dollar right now. And I just don't want to be in Europe for months and months. I'm sorry, I just don't take this shit seriously enough to want to do that and be away from B for that long.

Addendum: I'm still going to France, just not for, like, ever. The days of the year or two-year research trip are numbered, at least for Europeanist grad students...

5 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

That is an awesome picture. The color and lines are great.

I have to applaud you on finding a project. And your reasons for selecting this one are - I think - shared by everyone of us writing a dissertation (or thesis). I think my topic is fascinating and a compelling story that needs to be told (maybe not by me, but I don't dwell on that). But these aren't reasons I list on my funding applications.

noncoupable said...

:( France is such a great place to live! Ah well, I understand... just don't forget the best site ever, the one I used and will use again when traveling in Europe and need free accommodation:
www.couchsurfing.com

Chrissy said...

First of all, it is completely admirable that you wont move to Europe and be without your wife for an extended period of time, and it is even more admirable that you just KNOW you couldnt, and you dont go ahead and "try" it anyway, risking your marriage. That is the sign of a stand-up man and a rock solid relationship. So high fives for both.

Also, Christopher Guest is my hero. If I were a Make A Wish kid, my wish would definitely include him.

clumsygirl said...

When I first saw the photo, I thought it was a picture of Dan, but then quickly realized that the woman was definitely not Kate. Funny.

Very nice photo, though, I agree w/ dolce vita.

ps. Today is a snow day in pdx!

Cabiria said...

More kudos on the picture, nice one. And what a productive day! Congratulations on selecting a cool topic for sane reasons!