1.22.2008

Like Stand Up Comedy at a Mortuary

...that's how it feels to lead discussion sections a lot of the time.

My Tuesdays, they are ugly bitches this term. I'm in lectures, seminars, and discussions all day from 10:00am to 7:00pm, not including the time it takes to get to and from the city on the hill. The killer is leading the section last; it's this huge burst of energy on my part as I try to make it, you know, not completely suck. Because I'm so out of it by the time it begins, I've already produced two logistical foibles this term that I had to correct via e-mail once I realized that I'd screwed up. And me, I don't produce logistical foibles. I DON'T PRODUCE LOGISTICAL FOIBLES.

On a happier note, my advisor really liked my MA paper and thinks I should polish it up and try to get it published in a lefty history journal or a feminist history journal (ha ha...big difference.) Any suggestions for journals I might seek out? He had mentioned History Workshop.

On a less happy note, I have a lot, lot, LOT of French historiography to catch up on before my QE.

B's mouth still really hurts and she has a nasty headache tonight to boot. On the up side, she was able to eat part of a scrambled egg earlier. It just took a long time.

This evening is one of those times I'm really in touch with my "flee to a cabin in the woods" fantasy. What the hell: I'll upgrade the fantasy to a "flee to my compound in the woods" scenario. Everyone could come hang out; J is in charge of security.

2 comments:

Trust in Steel said...

You must be very stressed on Tuesdays to have logistical problems as your level of organization is admired by all. A retreat to the forest to relax would be much needed, no problem on security!

noncoupable said...

Tell B I hope she feels better! I have had many awful braces and pulled-teeth related experiences in my life. (In the late 1980s/early 1990s french dental system wasn't too good about giving enough pain killers, not to mention I once spent 6 months with a PERMANENT metal screw contraption on the roof of my mouth and I lost 10-15 pounds--as a kid! My mom used to feed me chocolate pudding, yoplait drinks, apple sauce, and blend spaghetti carbonara for me)