1.18.2008

Cut Up With a Scalpel

So, yesterday B had oral surgery: gum grafting. It's where they slice chunks off of the roof of your mouth and stitch them under/into your gums to repair damaged or receding gum-lines. It's painful, expensive, and all-around gnarly, but in the long run we expect it to be worth it.

She was out of surgery at about 1:30pm, so we headed home and made the best of the rest of the day:
  • Fruit smoothies with honey.
  • Vicodin, ibuprofen, antibiotics, acidopholis.
  • Soup.
  • Ice packs.
  • More vicodin.
  • The entire first season of America's Top Model, start to finish.*
Once the vicodin kicked in, she felt okay. This morning she was feeling pretty miserable, but I think that's to be expected; the problem with sleeping when you're hurt or sick is that you can't do the things (ice-packs, painkillers) that make you feel better, even though sleep is the best thing for you overall. By the time I left for campus, she was starting to feel basically human again.

So: we are accepting well-wishes and remote hi-fives. I'll be on good husband duty for the next week or so and we hope and expect a speedy recovery.

* Which was great! The funny trashy chick beat the self-righteous Christian bible-thumper chick. It was a victory for truth and justice.

6 comments:

another kind of nerd said...

Remote high-fives all around. Probably best that I didn't have time to head over this mountains this time.

Becky said...

give b hugs from me and jack! and i'll just be over here taking vicodin in solidarity. mmmm... pills.

Trust in Steel said...

Hopefully, she'll recover quickly! I wish vicotin could get rid of my pain, sadly enough it doesn't work very well on my injuries. Be well!

Rachel said...

heh.... yeah, no one should ever give me vicodin. EVER. I'm glad it works for B, though! Hope she feels better soon... if it's anything like wisdom teeth removal, it's lame. Remote sympathy vibes being sent your way. :)

Matto said...

Tooth/mouth pain is the worst. Here's to a speedy recovery.

SuperJew said...

Awww, I'm sending miss B happy healing vibes from freezer land. Knowing she has you kungfu, and tyra banks by her side, she will no doubt heal quickly! I'm a total top model addict. It is out of control. I think it's good medicine! For all sorts of ailments! Hang in there banana slugs!