1.10.2008

Eeeeeeasy, Tiger

It's day four of the term and I'm feeling a bit frayed. Definitely not a good sign for the next five months before the exam. The workload is formidable, the language test in Italian completely intimidating (it got a lot more real today when I exchanged e-mails with the prof, who offered to let me borrow some journals to practice on), but you know what's really got my blood up? The prof I'm TA'ing for, The Sith Lord, didn't order desk copies of the books I, and the other TA, need. So we're sharing the dog-eared library copy of the main textbook and begging the department to allow us to just buy a copy and get reimbursed. This guy has been teaching for forty years and this shit doesn't occur to him...it's that peculiar brand of retarded that you only find in higher education.

In happier news, apparently George W. is in Israel and Palestine this week encouraging a new peace deal. If there's anyone on planet earth better qualified to bring about peace, I can't imagine who it would be.*

The news is kind of depressing these days. Recessions and 100$+ /barrel oil make baby jesus cry, and it never fails to horrify me that there are still so many republicans out there no matter how bad it gets...

* Perhaps Hannibal Lecter, or Josef Stalin, or maybe Pal Pot...

1 comment:

Cabiria said...

That Sith Lord stuff bites. My prof this term did the same exact thing this week and I finally got the books, but I too had to beg the department not to punish the TA for the sins of the prof. Seriously, someone is doing your grading FOR YOU -- is it so hard to order a copy of a book? Hope next week goes better.

And I envision some sort of Star-Bellied Sneetches machine somewhere in the non-coastal states snatching up unsuspecting moderates and spewing out more Republicans. It's the only explanation I'll accept for the stupid.