1.08.2008

Put Down the Martini, Mr. Sinatra

Have you noticed that whenever there's an anti-drinking sign (an anti-drunk driving sign, a "don't drink in this park, you stinky hobo" sign, a "don't have more than three long islands, Colin" sign), it's almost always a martini crossed out? I realize that a martini glass can only really be used for martinis, while a beer bottle might merely be full of refreshing ginger ale, and thus the former's iconic shape lends itself to signitude, but still. Who drinks martinis in a park? Or in a car? Besides the late Old Blue Eyes, I mean?

I bring it up because I'm officially drinking less. And it's weird. I'll keep this short: I've never been much for restraint in anything, nor for worrying about my health. I got the hookup with the good genes. I heal quickly and I don't get sick much. But there's the rub with those progressive diseases like alcoholism, which runs in my family just like it runs in EVERYBODY'S family.* You can get away with it for a few decades before it really catches up, or so I gather. So I had my first-ever actual new year's resolution and I'm only drinking on weekends and special occasions, which must now include events more "special" than a rerun of No Reservations. We'll see how it goes.

In the spirit of making this a kind of "update from the nursing home" blog, I'd like to add that I've got a sty in my eye that won't die. The friendly RN at the health center, after a long-ass wait, informed me that I really do need to hit it with a lot of hot compresses. Compress it hotly, a lot. You get the idea. It's sexy. It's just weird, because a sty is basically an evil pimple of hell that lives on your eyelid, and I never had a pimple that just hung around being itchy for a month. If anyone has any interesting folk remedies for sties (stys?), please let me know. I'm up for anything, crystals and pyramid magic included.

* I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't pipe in with "oh, yeah, alcoholism totally runs in my family, too" when the subject comes up.

6 comments:

Alexis said...

Russian Doctor in LA perscribed tea bag on the eye for basically everything.

Alexis said...

Also... eat at a diner. I once had a sty that made me look like down syndrome so I couldn't go to work at the chic magazine, and it's fun to go the diner and experience what it's like to appear like a standard weirdo. People are nice!

Leah said...

Wow! How big is this sty? I get little ones that I can pop and then they go away, but that probably isn't a good idea if it is big. Sometimes allergy eyedrops help with the itching. Good luck.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah...I was told not to pop it, although the idea certainly has occurred to me. At this point, "popping" it would be pretty grim.

And, thanks, A, I'm off to the diner w/ a teabag on my eye. To hang w/ my fellow downs kids.

Chrissy said...

Off topic (sorta):

This is my favorite traffic sign:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/bahleedat/Trafficsign.jpg

It always makes me giggle.

kungfuramone said...

That is some serious physical comedy going down in that traffic sign.