10.24.2007

State of the KFR Address

Or, at least, a brief assessment:
  1. It turns out that the actual, on-the-books QE requirements at UC to the SC aren't that draconian. Write a 20-page essay, write a vague dissertation proposal, write a couple of syllabi. Fair enough. I'm meeting with my adviser tomorrow to hash it out; I've got a proposed draft of my reading list ready to show him.
  2. It's been 90 degrees for the last few days. 90. It's almost November. Can you believe that the official Republican policy as late as a few years ago was that global warming was a liberal myth? Can you believe that there are still some fucktard hold-outs still claiming that?
  3. On a related note, I feel really, really bad about the fires in Socal. They affected friends in very bad ways. Also, this morning I asked my students and 50% said they had family there who either had evacuated or were going to evacuate.
  4. Still pondering another "week of thing!" photo essay. My man Matto suggested a different tattoo every day. There were also calls for a hat week. Sadly, I have only three hats, making hat week nigh-implausible. Ideas are welcome.
  5. Buying tonic for G+Ts at 7-11 makes me think about Russian nihilism. As if there were any other kind!
  6. I have an iPod, which is connected to big Princess-Leia-earmuff style headphones (no so-called "earbuds"...they creep me out) I was reminded of why yesterday, when I took the bus without them and had to listen to two room-temp IQ mouth-breathers complaining about how they didn't want any more "crazy bitches" in their lives. I restrained myself from reminding them that they were, in fact, the crazy bitches.
  7. No surprises: I still feel great about black coffee and red wine. Oh, and tonight Top Model is on. Let's hope that blond chick who looks like a skinny mule gets kicked off.
Thanks for tuning in. If you have week-of-thing! ideas, drop me a comment.

5 comments:

Hollie said...

Does it have to be a week of things that are on or worn by you? Because (and I know this is sort of an Insufferably Predictable Girlheaded suggestion, espcially in these times of LOLcats and cuteoverload) I'd dig a week of Things on Pesto's Head. It could be in tribute to Oolong.

You know about Oolong, right? King of Rabbits with Things on They Haids?

clumsygirl said...

...or conversely, a week of Rabbit on Things (or in things). Also possible, a week of Things on My Head (including hats).

I like stuff on stuff. Also, I like commenting via my fancy room computer at school. Not my stupid cube computer, which doesn't allow me access to said blog.

kungfuramone said...

H: no, I did not know about oolong, until just now. And I thank you for it.

It sounds like the vast crowds are crying out for Pesto pics. I will try to make it happen; she's kind of persnickity.

SuperJew said...

Dude have you seen the show America's Most Smartest Model? It's pretty hilarious. I think you are talking about Tyra Banks one though right? I'm "familiar" with both of these productions. Haha! I love the tagline though for the "most smartest" show: It goes something like "their gorgeous, perfect bodies, and dumber than a pile of rocks..." Gotta love it!

the rambler said...

top model (which for some reason was on a re-run frenzy this summer) got me through QE prep.

Now, it is the 24-7 CSI re-runs channel with Chinese subtitles