10.06.2007

Sigmeund Freud: Hilarious Man

I read Freud's "Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria" for my TA class earlier this afternoon. It'll be great stuff to talk about with the students - Freud's assumptions and, ahem, neuroses totally overshadow any actual insights he might have had about this poor kid he was "curing." I suppose this is a further example of how I'm becoming a worse and worse historian the longer I'm in this business; I just want to make fun of people (read: Strindberg and Freud) in the past for being conceited, misogynistic fucktards.

That said, check out this beautiful Freud quote:

"The two thoughts then act towards each other much like the two needles of an astatic galvanometer."

I made that into my e-mail signature for school.

In other news, I had a rollicking good time playing 5-dollar buy-in poker w/ a crew of well-dressed kids last night. I totally WON 5 bucks! I mean, 5 more bucks that I originally invested, even! I put up a few pics on the flickr site. In doing so, I hit my 200-picture limit, since I have a free account. Now I'm really, honestly debating what to do. Is it worth it to spend the 25 bucks for a pro account for a year? I kind of doubt it. The thing is, I assume that the only thing that happens on my flickr site is that people who are on my buddy list look at new pictures I put up as I put them up; almost no one goes through and looks at the older ones.

So: those of you that dabble in flickr and/or those of you that just e-stalk people on flickr, what do you think? Is it worth money to have an entire online picture gallery, or am I correct in assuming that the only action my pictures are likely to get is during their first few days/weeks online?

7 comments:

noncoupable said...

I love my flickr pro account, but then again, I am a travel and study abroad whore. Sometimes, when people I know haven't seen or heard from me in a while, they just check out my flickr site.

Besides that though, I found it useful in my TA section when I was able to pull up my China picture albums to relieve boredom. Also, we were able to discuss the presentation of memorials and museums in mainland China for events that happened since the CCP came to power in 1949.

In short, I totally think the pro account is worth it.

Ransom said...

I'm kind of pondering the same thing, as I will return from Japan with some photos.

Though I think my understanding of pro/"amateur" is slightly different from yours... My impression is that you can have all the pictures you want up at any given time, you can only add so many within a given month. For that reason, I tend to think I won't, because while I ought to put up proof of my scintillating life on a regular basis, I, um, don't. So whatever I can't put up now probably won't be displacing anything new next month.

Also, looking at blogger from Japan without Japanese language support installed involves a lot of question marks.

kungfuramone said...

I thought that that was the deal, too, just a hard limit on monthly uploads. Unfortunately, they also limit you to 200 pics online at any given time. The other ones are still there, but only the latest 200 are visible.

Ahem: bastards! Wanting to make money off of the service they provide! Bastards!

another kind of nerd said...

I say get the account, if for no other reason than to have your photographs stored somewhere in addition to your computor. Of course, you being you, I'm sure you have that covered already.

Rachel said...

I actually have a picture that I posted nine months ago now that keeps getting hits (and it's a stairway of a castle overlooking the Danube, not the most riveting subject material, to my mind). So, some people actually do look. Depends on the subject material, though. I just like the convenience of a pro account.

Cabiria said...

I kinda like my pro account, also for the convenience. Especially because I'm too lazy to do much sorting/editing of the photos before they go up, so I tend to put up too many at once anyway.

brianc said...

Two things:

1. My favorite Freud quote: "Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity."

2. I don't find all the flashiness of Flickr to really be necessary (for me). Therefore, I'm sticking with 'gallery' (open-source, bitch!), running on my server at home. If you want, I can create an account for you and you can upload images to your heart's content.