10.29.2007

The 80s, Stuff Happenings, and so on, Etc.

Ok, so:

First, it's not just that I like a lot of music from the 80s (because I do: Don't you want me baby? Don't you want me....oh?!), it's that lately I've really appreciated what an incredibly original decade it was for pop music and pop cinema. The styles were totally distinct and iconic. Music has never REALLY gotten past the innovations that were introduced in the 80s; synth-pop, hip hop, punk, hair metal, all of it created the templates that everyone's been aping every since.* Granted, most of it was like eating a cake made out of poop (a "poop-cake," if you will), but the stuff that was good was often strikingly, memorably good. I bring this up after listening to a few contemporary bands that are SO warmed-over 80s (like, uh, these guys), but I think the point stands pretty much across the board.

Secondish, one of my students got the stuffing kicked out of him by a gang outside of the Safeway on Mission last week. Besides feeling awful for him in general, it heightens my already-extant paranoia about this town. B and I had a talk the other night about how we're feeling about SC, about reconciling homesickness (for Oregon) with loving our friends here (because they're smart and ravishingly attractive), but then also having to deal with the logistical problems of central coast living: it is sometimes sketchy and it is always expensive. I hate thinking that it's one of those places you have to go from locked car to locked apartment, and I guess I like the fact that such a huge percentage of the population is affiliated with the university, since it kind of wimps-up the general populace (no UC to the SC student can beat you, or even me, up...believe me.) It's still a bummer.

Thirdly, uh.......well, I am excited about Thanksgiving. My excitement was heightened by the insane, sumptuous feast prepared by K last night. That girl is not only one of the best minds of my generation, she can also cook the HELL out of a chicken-stuffing-veggies-fresh bread-type meal. Now I'm extra fired-up about the rapidly-approaching turkey day.

Side note: Regarding this season of Heroes, I, for one, SALUTE the awkward gay-couple stylings of Matt and Suresh. However, I am deeply troubled and irritated by the fact that no one has hit Sylar over the head with a wrench or shovel until such time as he dies a lot.

* Indie rock provides a possible counterpoint here...The Pixies were the first important 'indie' band, right? And when did they really get going?

6 comments:

FOSCO said...

Judging from your pictures, KFR, you must barely remember the 80s (i.e., because you must have been quite young during them).

I lurve the Pixies and I think they actually just barely qualify as an 80s band:

Surfer Rosa 1988
Doolittle 1989
Bossanova 1990

(Also, Sonic Youth might be another important 80's band that created a template for future acts).

"With your feet on the air and your head on the ground,
Try this trick and spin it (yeah)."

Rachel said...

i am of the opinion that we need a resurgence of day glo socks and members only jackets.

kungfuramone said...

Well, I was born in '78, so I was at least vaguely aware of my surroundings in the 80s. Primary memory: I was afraid of Twisted Sister. Oh, and good point about Sonic Youth.

R: hypercolor shirts, too, n'est ce pas?

noncoupable said...

You know what I'm going to say already: move to France.

the goat said...

Do not move to France, kfr. On the indie rock scene, I would also point to Primal Scream and Jesus and Mary Chain. I just wanted to mention that because I think it is both awesome and surprising that I know these two groups. Umm...am I right about the indie rock part?

kungfuramone said...

Hmmm...well, I don't know a damn thing about Primal Scream, but Jesus + Mary Chain was more goth/synth than indie. Still had some bitchin' songs, anyway.