2.23.2007

Now, Don't Get Mad, Baby


There's no point in getting mad at two things:
  1. Historical figures.
  2. Languages.
Getting mad isn't going to make Hitler or Genghis Khan any less of an asshole. Getting mad isn't going to make Finno-Ugric languages any less bizzare.

That being said, everyone knows that J-J Rousseau was a complete dick. I've always struggled with just treating him as a seminal figure in intellectual history, not as a seminal dickhead in intellectual history. Everyone is familiar with the "if I had a time machine I'd go back and kill Hitler when he was a weird Austrian baby" scenario, which I'm all for, but I'd also go back and just bitch-slap the living shit out of Rousseau.

But then there's Marx. I've got a better handle on Marxism than I ever have before and I'm working on putting together a coherent "stance" on political economy, thanks largely to the Histcon class I'm in, but as for Marx himself, I dunno. I love the beard. That's a given. But I can't figure out if he was as insufferable as Rousseau or might have actually been fun to have fun with. You know:
  1. Going on a paddle-boat...with Marx.
  2. Playing badminton...with Marx.
  3. Going to a Chinese buffet...with Marx.
  4. Going to the beach and looking for loose change with metal detectors...with Marx.
P.S. I just finished the ugly-ass rough draft of my coffee site. I should say: the prose is ugly (-ass); I think the color scheme is great. I'm leaving it as-is with a minimum of fiddling. The Sith Lord has asked for rough drafts of our term projects on the 1st; I figure I'll just leave it all hanging loose, get reamed, and fix it up, rather than trying to fix it up, getting reamed, and not knowing what to do. Comprenez-vous?

4 comments:

Alexis said...

Fun to have fun. Holla!

Alexis said...

Also the best way to educate is TOTALLY to leave toddler Pierre alone with a library of books and, I dunno, one object blunt, one sharp and come back in ten years.

Leaves you free to play lots of badminton, abandon your family, etc.

Trust in Steel said...

I thought you figured out by now a vast majority of intellectuals and academics are the very antithesis of fun, with most lacking the ability to socialize at all.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, but see, Marx cracks wise sometimes! Out of the 3000-something pages of Capital, I've caught him being funny at least twice!