2.12.2007

Guilty Pleasures, Confusion

Ever since we got on our Arrested Development kick, Becky and I have had Europe's "Final Countdown" stuck in our heads. Becky, in fact, would not stop singing it all day yesterday. I feign annoyance, but secretly, I love that song! In an eerie coincidence, Jeff just dropped some logic about 80s tunes he rocks out, including the Top Gun "Danger Zone" song.* Just two days ago, I "acquired" the Top Gun soundtrack, slapped "Final Countdown" on at the front, and just like that, 80s dance party!

Here's where the confusion comes in: we like these kinds of songs because they're funny and ridiculous, and if I had been older than 5 when Final Countdown was rocking the airwaves, I would have pretended to hate it because it was weak-ass pop bullshit and I would have gone back to my Minor Threat record. But...it's such a great song! Can we like something ironically, yet not ironically at the same time? I mean, I do appreciate the irony and the absurdity of the Top Gun soundtrack, but it's also kind of nonstop awesome, 24/7, you know? It's like when we all started throwing the horns at each other in high school; we were like "ha ha, butt rock is dumb, I am ironic," but now we mean it when we throw the horns.

I also like everything by Cracker and the Paul Simon "Graceland" album. I'll just admit that now and get it over with.

*As you may remember, I have an ongoing obsession with the "danger zone," which appeared in something like 6 or 7 popular 80s pop songs, not just the Kenny Loggins Top Gun song. One of these days I'll spend some serious time in the internet and compile a list with lyrics.

5 comments:

Elizabeth M. said...

Graceland lyrics are a part of our "parole" over here at the Mullins household. "Baby I love you. Let's get that straight." is a frequent line fed to the youngest of us from the older two.

I love Graceland too. Let's get that straight.

Rebecca said...

all i need to say is: do do do doo. do do do do doo. do do do doo. do do do do doo...i feel better now...

...beetlegirl

clumsygirl said...

All this talk of danger zone... but no mention of the daring yellow color added to ze blog!

word verif: etuqxpvs

pulpshopgirl said...

I wholeheartedly believe you can like something ironically and unironically at the same time. Take for instance, my feelings for Phil Collins. On the one hand, I think Phil is a total chode hole who wrote some really bad, cheesy songs. On the other hand, I LOVE most of those songs. Not only because they remind me of childhood in a good way, but also, because I just plain love them. I figure, just go with it.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, Phil's got some weird staying power, and I don't just mean in the sack. He had that odd, high-pitched voice that was easy to song along with (albeit badly.) He also dissed Ronald Reagan, so I have to like him, even if was a chode hole.

Nice term, BTW.