9.28.2006

Waitin' for the bus

There are two songs I think of when I think of waiting for the bus:
  1. Del the Funkee Homosapien's "The Wacky World of Mass Transit"
  2. The Violent Femmes' "Waiting for the Bus"
(Bet you didn't think I was down with Del, did you?! I was quite the little black nationalist when I was 12, so up yours. Although Del really isn't a black nationalist kind of rapper, but I stand by my original point.)

The Santa Cruz Metro is pretty outgunned when it comes to UCSC; there are about 14000 undergrads, 1100 grads, and thousands of staff and faculty, and we all get to ride for free. The metro tries to keep up, but it just isn't happening. This translates into long lines and long waits and crowded-ass busses. Fortunately, most UCSC students seem to have pretty ok hygiene, so when you're forced to dry-hump six of them on the way home, it's not a big deal.

In other news, today I finished reviewing the last five years of (the academic journal) History and Theory then wrote two things about Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. This weekend Ana and I are going for a hike, hopefully with at least a couple of our new cohort in tow. I'm still plagued by nightmarish anxiety and perennial existential crises, but we got our copy of Dodgeball from Netflix, so I'm ok for now.

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

4 comments:

clumsygirl said...

Brian's bus song is "I Missed the Bus Again" by Skankin Pickle. Since you're so timely, I doubt it occurs to you. It does occur to him... every sad time.

kungfuramone said...

Well, the thing here is that it doesn't friggin' matter if one is punctual or not...the bus may or may not come and it will definitely be stuffed to the gills with students. Doh!

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, Fear did a lot of hatin'. I bet they hated the bus something fierce.

Lee Ving is the best punk name ever, except maybe Lux Interior. Same era, anyway.

Kungfukitten said...

What song says "Hey drunken Mexican guy at 7:00am, thanks for the compliment but I'm not going to marry you." That would sound terribly racist except for the fact that it's happened on three separate occasions by three different men. (my word verification code was uxuKFR)