9.17.2006

Boardwalks


Couldn't...sleep. Possibility of flawed grammar...high.

Ok, Talk Like a Pirate Day is coming up again, blah blah blah, the point is to watch this hilarious video. It's informative; I particularly appreciate the syntax breakdown and the verb tenses, although I'm not sure about their conclusions regarding future tense.

We went to the Santa Cruz boardwalk yesterday, but didn't go on any rides. Why (and how) is it that every beach carnival in the world is the same? From Norfolk to Catalonia to California's central coast (those are just the ones I remember off of the top of my head), every seafront boardwalk with rides has the same bad food, the same ugly kids, and seems to be staffed by the same carnies. That said, I do need to go on the sinister, ancient, wooden roller coaster at some point as I have become convinced that I'm immortal and I need to test the theory.

1 comment:

A said...

World Fairs - from beach boardwalks to shopping malls to theme parks to academic conferences - these curious agents of a colonialist consumer capitalist modernity have left their mark on variety of modern phenomena.