9.20.2006

"Student" athletes


During my lunch break here in the picturesque cubicals of the UCSC history dept. grad lab, I found this fantastic Onion article (FSU to Phase out Academic Operations by 2010). It reminded me of one of the constant irritations of being a UO grad student: the fact that the university's priorities were so clearly and so squarely focused on athletics.

At the time, it was annoying that the football players had custom Humvees and that the stadium was about as big as the rest of campus put together. Now, it strikes me as particularly appalling since it's so much better here in Santa Cruz: the academic departments can afford facilities and fellowships which better allow their students to do their work
.

Furthermore, you don't have waves of quasi-students who are really just sports fans who have to tolerate classes in order to scream "whoo" and slam Coors (which is not to say there aren't a bunch of those here, of course, just that the student body doesn't seem to be comprised almost exclusively of them.) This comment brought to you by my former neighbors. Burn in hell, guys.

Last I checked, the mighty UCSC Banana Slugs are best known for their ultimate frisbee team. Maybe I should start a Freestyle Walkin' team, too.

4 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Ah, but the difficulty of enforcement! Think of it; you'd always have excuses. "But officer, I tripped and was forced to do a fancy spin to recover my balance!"

Kungfukitten said...

Dude, what about a full contact croquet team?

kungfuramone said...

Too dangerous -- croquet players wear only sweater vests (and, presumably, pants) and wield mallets. Shattered extremities all around...

A said...

Segway racing?