6.05.2008

Logistics En Marche

The latest, the greatest:
  • I managed to set B and I up with video-chat capabilities using two cheapo webcams I bought off of ebay, some even more cheapo shareware, google's chat feature, and iChat. Total cost was less than fifty bucks, which beats the snot out of the 300+ dollar Apple-branded webcams and the 90+ dollar .mac membership. I love it when cheapness triumphs.
  • I got a fairly substantial grant from the department. This is awesome, because...
  • Housing in Paris looks like it's going to be around 600 / 650 euros a month for a freaking postage stamp of a studio. That would be okay if the dollar and the euro were somewhere close to on par. Instead, we're talking about 1000 bucks a month for the privilege of sleeping in something akin to a walk-in closet with a sink and a toilet.
  • I didn't get the other grant I applied to, but it was "only" 500 bucks anyway...
  • This is seriously the weirdest little town on the planet.
  • I had my last-ever class the other evening. Yet another anticlimax.
  • I'm considering writing the president de la republique for a letter of safe-passage that might ease the visa process. Think he'd go for it?
As ever,
-KFR

5 comments:

Adam said...

Be thankful you get a sink and a toilet, it could be worse

Trust in Steel said...

Congrats on the grant and no more class. I can only dream about how great no class will be. I'm glad it looks like you'll be able to make France work out with B and the money issues.

noncoupable said...

Everyone in Paris lives in a postage stamp size of a studio. That's just how it works there. I can't think of one person I know who lives in anything bigger than where I lived as a kid, with my brother and two parents, which was smaller than my apt in Santa Cruz last year. Oh, except for the expats living on housing allowance. But they don't count. Think of it this way: Paris is all about being out in the city and in the parks and cafes, so you will be spending very, very little time at home most days.

Alexis said...

And you don't have to live with an actual french person. Congratualtions. They're too opinionated for living with. Much better for drinking with!

Cabiria said...

Congratulations on the grant and on being done with classes. Nice work!