6.26.2008

Enough of That!

I decided that Hat Week was a mere five day work week. So it's over.

Not surprisingly, I've been nervously anticipating Paris a lot lately. The panic is mostly over now that I've secured important stuff like a place to live for the first few months and I have my consulate appointment for the visa all set up. I'm left with a more diffuse kind of anxiety, knowing that it's en route but not having a lot to do in the meantime except half-heartedly read through my old French textbook and think good thoughts.

I found myself thinking of semi-comparable things that other people have to do that I don't, however, to cheer myself up. These include:
  • Go to war.
  • Get a culinary degree and then force yourself to move to France or Italy for extra top chef cred.
  • Immigrate.
  • Participate in a humiliating reality TV show.
  • Be a wet-behind-the-ears mormon missionary in, say, the Ukraine.
Let alone combinations thereof. Did I miss any?

So anyway: I've got a TA gig for the next month, which means B and I can continue to eat food and live in an apartment. I have a tiny, expensive studio to move into on the Ile Saint-Louis when I arrive in August, but I have to move out on October 26 and find a new place. Many of my friends here in SC have taken off for the summer, or at least part of it, and I've already become terrible about hanging out with the ones that are still here. We have a family of mourning doves living on our porch.

By way of summary, here I am. I intend to rock you like a hurricane.

No comments: