6.19.2008

Hat Week: Part 4


Verily, there is something to my left! Forsooth!

This is my black Kangol 504 Ventair cap I bought myself for my birthday two years ago. It's a good summer cap - it doesn't hold on to sweat and it's designed to breathe.

That said, I've always felt a bit torn about my love affair with Kangol hats. Thing is, they can be like big white sneakers: lame. A lot of older dudes with no style sport Kangols, for some reason, and it's always a little depressing to find oneself matching a middle school band teacher on the bus. The flip side is that they also can be super stylin' - I mean, I first became aware of the brand because Ice-T was sporting Kangol stuff nonstop in his seminal role in New Jack City. And if Ice-T does it, you know it's badass.

(As an aside, it should be noted that girls look insanely cute in Kangols. Just ask E.)

Regardless of the pros and cons of Kangols, here's hat reason number four: you can easily combine hats with shades and headphones and transform into a kind of public transportation Darth Vader. What I mean is that a hat + shades + headphones = impenetrable field of consciousness on the bus. Barring actual physical contact, practically any mouth-breathing weirdo (or obnoxious self-involved undergraduate) can sit next to you and it won't bug you that much, thanks to your three-piece virtual reality helmet. Being big on shutting myself off from the outside world, this is a major incentive for me.

P.S. It's B's and my fifth wedding anniversary on Saturday and we're off tonight for a fancy-schmancy cabin by Mendocino. Happy marriages: we're proof it can be done despite insanity, cramped living conditions, being hella broke, and deeply entrenched pessimism. Maybe it helps that we have the above factors in common.

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

Congrats on the 5th anniversary! Hooray for happy marriages!

Also, note that Eugene Hutz's character, Alex, in Everything is Illuminated rocks a Kangol and that is about as sweet ass as it gets!

the rambler said...

Congrats! & Love the Hats!

noncoupable said...

Yay! Happy 5th! :)

Adva Ahava said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope it's GREAT!

Dolce Vita said...

Happy anniversary!

clumsygirl said...

congratulations on five years. keep it up, yo!