6.03.2008

Four Years of Graduate School

Over the course of the last four years, I have written the following:

63 reaction papers (4 - 8 pages each)
2 journal reviews
1 historiographical essay (25 pages)
1 substantial research paper (30 pages)
5 lengthy essays (20+ pages)
2 annotated bibliographies / project outlines
2 master's theses (one about 100 pages, one 35 pages)
2 commodity websites
QE dossier, containing 2 syllabi, 1 dissertation proposal, and 1 field statement

Besides serving the obvious function of helping me kill time before my discussion section this afternoon, I wanted to compile the above statistics mostly to see how many bloody reaction papers I've had to write. The reaction paper is a particularly virulent species that only exists in humanities graduate studies, and I am overjoyed to never have to write another one.

I could probably figure out how many student essays and blue-book exams I've graded, but that would just push me over the edge and force me to head up the nearest clock tower with a hunting rifle. So I'm not going to do it.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

nearest clocktower with a hunting rifle... are you sure there's no one from your U reading this? :D

Unknown said...

Last winter I graded 477 pieces of undergraduate work (7 reaction papers, a midterm and a final from 53 students). Last quarter I received 92 student emails. Oy.

kungfuramone said...

R: happily, we don't have any clock towers here (at least one campus.) That keeps the grad misbehavior down to a minimum.

H: Yipes.