5.22.2007

Another Big Day in Paradise

"I'm going to do a blog post" -me
"Why? What did you do today?" -Becky
"I went to work." -me
"Fascinating." -Becky

Years ago, my homie never-a-blog-update scoffed when I told her that I just wanted to sit around and have nothing to do. "You'd go nuts" she told me. It turns out she was completely right, something I've realized over the last few summers. But the thing is, it's contextual: when I told her that, I was overworked, underpaid, and permanently pissed off, and all I wanted was sleep and time to myself. The summers I spent unemployed, broke, and permanently bewildered were not much better (they still were, ultimately...crawling naked through angry, laser-wielding scorpions is better than being on call.)

The point is this: happiness is thoroughly contextual. It's fun to schlep monitors and answer help tickets so long as I know it isn't permanent.

2 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it :-)

noncoupable said...

I HATE help tickets. There are always those particular customers and/or tickets that NEVER get closed because someone is continually a pain in the ass...or something is ALWAYS broken and it isn't getting fixed or replaced.