8.16.2008

Without Further...Adieu

Well, after about four months of worrying about it, the day has arrived. Happily, my flight leaves in the early evening from SFO, so I didn't need to do one of those early-to-rise departures that make us all wish we were dead. Under the influence of my usual cocktail of sleep meds (melatonin + Tylenol PM) I eventually passed out last night and I feel about as well as could be expected this morning.

I had a bunch of nice, auspicious events yesterday - B and I spotted several big, fat, happy otters down off of West Cliff when we went for a walk, I played a totally kickass game of Civ IV (I played Napoleon III of France...thought it would be appropriate. Those Carthaginians didn't even know what hit them), the big batch of my family's patented chicken-and-rice dish came out perfectly, and I received notice from the UC that they found a few extra Euros to toss our way since the weak dollar is screwing everyone over. Oh, and you can actually check in, choose your own seat, and print your boarding pass from home with British Airways. That is technology!

Anyway, needless to say, I'll continue blogging and updating my flickr site once I'm settled in. Expect lots of black and white photography: it makes everything look like a high school art class.

7 comments:

Elizabeth M. said...

Bon Voyage, mon ami!

the rambler said...

yes, Bon Voyage!

Matto said...

Refering to your previous post, go for the sideburns, they are the answer to many of life's most important questions. Good luck getting settled.

Ransom said...

I've been trying like heck to come up with something really useful to say on the cusp of this great adventure. Unfortunately, I seem to be singularly ill-equipped to offer advice on living in Paris, top-shelf academic pursuits, or general coping mechanisms.

All that out of the way, I suppose what I should say is that although I won't be seeing less of you in particular than I have of late, I'm still a little apprehensive about the additional distance, and very much excited to hear about your exploits abroad. I know the stories that come out of this will be very much different from those that came out of your studies at East Anglia, but I expect them to be every bit as engaging, or more so.

So, courage, mon ami. I hope that the flying is as painless as possible, that your research is fruitful and engaging, and that the two of you can help each other remotely through having to spend so much time apart.

ninjahq said...

much love and well wishes!!!

clumsygirl said...

Hopefully by the time you read this, you will be safely ensconced in Paris, reading emails in a oh-so-Parisian (internet) cafe. Here's to a safe and reasonably comfortable flight and a quick settling in of necessaries. Good luck and hugs.

SuperJew said...

Glad you arrived safely my friend! Can't wait to read about all of your upcoming adventures. I hope they include (at some time) learning how to speak like Peppe Le Pieue! Don't you love the depth of my engagement with French culture? ;)