8.14.2008

Self-Medication. Also: Links

At the start of the year I initiated a resolution to limit drinking to weekends and "special occasions," a phrase that gave me considerable flexibility in implementation. It was mostly successful up until about two weeks ago; I would have a few beers while playing D+D on Wednesdays and so on, but overall it reduced my alcohol consumption to a fairly sane level. B and I made a very deliberate decision to jettison the resolution as my departure grew closer, culminating with my semi-official send-off at the Poet + Patriot last night (BTW, thanks to everyone who came out.) It had to be done.

One of the "positives" B and I are attributing to the four months of separation is that we'll both have plenty of time and space to work out, eat healthier, drink less, and generally behave a little more like 12-year-old mormons and a little less like Keith Richards. Since I've looked exactly the same since I was about 22 (except that I have less hair), I'm curious as to whether this presumed lifestyle shift is going to have any visible impact whatsoever. Oh, also, I should add that I'm playing around with the idea of sideburns.

And...I have links:
  1. This American Life did a wonderful episode with David Sedaris in which Ira Glass and Sedaris walk around Paris going to weird stores. It goes on to have a lot on American francophiles and an interesting section on the experience of African Americans in a France that is shot-through with its own special brand of anti-African racism. Thanks to E.M. for telling me about it over lunch yesterday.
  2. Claire Potter, a tenured historian at Wesleyan, has a funny, smart blog about academia. She just wrote a really valuable set of hints for applying for academic jobs in her last post. Fellow would-be tenure-havers: read and take notes.
Today is the equivalent for me of when the robot voice says "take your marks!" to the swimmers about to dive in the pool. I'm doing laundry, then I'm packing my bag. Emotionally, I'm trying to shift to a practical outlook instead of a worried outlook. As I was telling people at the bar last night, I'm not usually the kind of guy who sweats the details. It's just that this is it for me: I'm finally going to Europe. I've done pretty much everything you can do in four years as a European history grad student except, well, go to Europe. So I feel like I have a lot riding on this.

8 comments:

SuperJew said...

You'll rock the socks off the Europeans my friend! It's going to be fine and before you know it, you'll be back in SC with B hangin with the sea otters. Hang in there sir. Are you leaving tomorrow? I wanted to ring you before you go. I'll try to catch you.

clumsygirl said...

I know that you will stun Paris with your brilliance. As for sideburns, I fully endorse this idea. I knew a gent who had HUGE GIANT sideburns of epic proportions. He would base his idea and like/dislike of a city on the citizens' reactions to his sideburns.

Don't forget to have fun. Also, are there French otters?

kungfuramone said...

Hmmm...if there are (otters), I expect they're a ways from Paris. Too bad, obviously.

I don't think I've got it in me, genetically/hormonally, to do the full-on Asimov-style sideburns, but I *do* think I can pull of the semi-chops. Which will be semi-cool. :]

Rachel said...

maybe very large water rats? you're going to do awesome! Paris was a fun city, even though I was only there for a couple days. and they were all quite nice if I started in French (even when I butchered what I wanted to say), but umm... quite rude is an understatement if I started in English. :) have fun!!

Dolce Vita said...

Um, so when did you pause to give yourself a pat on the back? (At least, give yourself my pat on the back since I'm not there to deliver it in person.) You've earned this; well done. I hope you'll try to blog from Paris (I say this through teeth gritted in jealousy) because I can't wait to hear about all the cool stuff you've found and seen and done. You can update us at night when you should be sleeping but you won't be sleeping because you'll be drinking espresso. That is simply how you live in Paris. It is a drug-induced sensory overload and if you think you'll drink less alcohol or caffeine or eat better and exercise (aside from catching the Metro or dodging Paris drivers who will kill you), then you are in for a bit of a surprise, my friend!

(Oh, I can't wait for 11/1 and beaujolais nouveau!!! Be sure to wear a cap.)

á bientôt!!

Adva Ahava said...

Bon voyage! I look forward to reading the Paris blog entries about all of your adventures. And make sure you get a photograph of yourself eating a baguette as you moodily walk along the Seine!

noncoupable said...

With the price/deliciousness of the red wine and expresso in Paris I certainly don't think you'll be avoiding either of those as much as you may like to think you will... I mean come on, where else in the world are you going to find two buck Chuck french style in numerous flavors of deliciousness, esp considering it will be far cheaper than like every other drink and maybe even the tap water?????

noncoupable said...

PS tap water, an important word to not forget when eating out: "carafe d'eau robinet, svp"