8.25.2008

En Retard

I'm usually en retard when it comes to media, books, music, and culture in general.* I mean, I'm turning thirty in a few weeks and this is my first time living in the place I ostensibly study. I got into The Pixies at the end of high school, I only started watching The Wire these last few months, and I was still rocking a portable CD player for, like, five years after the iPod came out.

So, in typical me-fashion, I have arrived at the following things years after everyone else started using them:
  1. Skype. Now, B and I actually use my home-brewed combination of iChat, cheapo USB webcams, and Google Talk to talk while I'm over here, but Skype has already saved my ass in terms of being able to make normal phone calls for cheap over the internet. And I don't need to blow 60 euro getting hooked up with a French mobile plan.
  2. This American Life. Nerdy leftist semi-hipsters, unite. My new default wind-down activity at night is kicking back and listening to an episode before I go to my small European bed. Side note: I can't believe Ira Glass is straight.
In Parisian news, those of you with a background in France may be surprised to learn that lots of stuff is open on Sunday now. The local boulangerie is closed on Tuesdays (for some reason) but open on Sunday, and a lot of the stuff along the left bank is open all day. This appears to be because the tourists are out in force on Sundays. I'm not sure how everyone rolls outside of the touristic ground zero, but it's actually pretty convenient for me...

I'm off to Montmarte with two of my fellow grads and another gang of undergrads. Pictures to follow, as ever.

P.S. Wasn't feelin' the fashion critique, but soon enough. I'm wearing a particularly Eurotrash ensemble today and I'm sure it will provide ample inspiration.

* En retard: late. One of my favorite phrases, for obvious reasons.

4 comments:

Ransom said...

I only got into the Pixies after high school. And they were happening at the time... I have never watched The Wire, nor do I expect to.

Despite still being a professional geek, have never used Skype. Used Google Talk once immediately after setting it up on my Nokia 770.

I only ever end up listening to This American Life when it happens to come on during a grocery run or something. I'm right there with you re: Ira Glass.

You may not be ahead of your time, but at least you seem to be ahead of my time, which is a little problematic, temporally speaking, but there you have it.

Dolce Vita said...

I have to admit I too was surprised when I once heard him refer to "my wife." I think this is because neither of us (I presume) has ever lived on the East Coast. I suspect that gender "norms" are a bit different there (as elsewhere - take the popularity of chew and frighteningly tight wranglers on the vast plains...).

kungfuramone said...

I don't know, V, the vocal inflections seems pretty universal. I base this on having watched several seasons of Project Runway. Ira Glass sounds more than a little like Tim Gunn a lot of the time...

Cabiria said...

Ira Glass is my public radio husband -- though I'll admit to having the requisite level of surprise when he mentions his wife. Love that show. Glad you are embracing the Eurotrash ensembles!