7.29.2008

Game of Kings


Picture from this weekend's going-away Thanksgiving in July party at my in-laws' in Novato...

The only Olympic sports I like are the weird ones that barely seem like sports...curling and mogul-jumping in the winter games, white-water kayaking and badminton in the summer games, and so on. I like sports that are either so esoteric that the total pool of athletes worldwide is tiny or ones that don't require actual sweating. By those standards, I think the omission of croquet is criminal.

Croquet is a game you can play with a beer at the ready. It's a game that you can teach someone and have them win on their second game (see my flickr site for an example of the latter.) It's a game that is best known to Americans thanks to blurry childhood memories of family reunions and the fine, fine 80s movie Heathers. It's a game with built-in vindictive attacks on your loved ones. And, finally, it's a game that it's almost impossible to take seriously.

So: if synchronized swimming is an official event, why not backyard croquet? I'll start writing up the petitions.

2 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

My tangential comment: in high school, I hung out with three girls named Heather. (And while I was the "V," I don't believe I was a Veronica.)

pulpshopgirl said...

I will so sign that petition. Here here!