7.26.2008

It Cold Sucks to Run a Mile

(From the best of the online comics:Achewood.)

You know what else cold sucks? Blepharitis cold sucks. I've been going around with this sty in my eye for eight months now, finally got a referral to a proper ophthalmologist, and found out that I do indeed have some nasty blepharitis and that I'm supposed to do the hot-compress thing several times a day until I'm dead.* B has suggested I just keep my eyelids very clean using baby shampoo, which sounds a lot more viable to me. And there was nothing to be done about the sty, either! One of these mornings I'm going to wake up and my eye will just fall out. And then I will be a pirate. At least I still have 20/20.

You know what else cold sucks? The fact that stupid movies make a lot of money while original, funny, rad ones like Be Kind Rewind get panned and go nearly straight to video.** I realized while B and I were watching it last night over a few bottles of vino that the reason I'm such a pessimistic, cynical, negative pain in the ass is that almost everything I like gets discarded or fails in American culture while everything I hate just gets more powerful. Paris Hilton?! Jon McCain?! Republicans in general?! Come on!

I'm off for my going-away dinner at B's folks' place in Novato tomorrow. I shall return with pictures of croquet madness in a few days.

* Which is not to say that it will eventually kill me, just that said compresses were prescribed for an indefinite period.
** Straight to Video: I still think that's a good band name.

4 comments:

noncoupable said...

Your cynicism will pale in comparison to that of Paris. And it won't be just because the exchange rate sucks as much as it really does. Just wait to see what I mean.

:)

PS I am currently in Switzerland and prices went up from last year, disregarding the exchange rate issue. I pay 5-6 bucks for a sandwich with a few veggie pieces and a slab of cheap meat at any local bakery. It's a damned good thing the water coming out of the tape is delicious and free.

kungfuramone said...

Yes, the French will overwhelm and confound me, prices will bury me, and my shattered body will float slowly down the Seine and out to sea. This is the plan.

Unknown said...

was the move to ucsc a sideways move?
Why not O?

kungfuramone said...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

None of what I'm doing would have been possible at the U of O. All of the institutional support and connections I have are based on the people and the programs through the UC. So, no, it was a nice big step up.