4.28.2008

Rock Deprivation


This is a picture of Peaches. Her new album, Impeach My Bush, is pretty serious shit. I recommend it.

One of the things B and I talk about on the long list of things we hate is how cut off we are from the subcultures we used to be part of. The solidarities of shared tastes in music and lifestyle are nice when you have them and just terrible when you don't; if you're still invested in the outlook and the sound that got you into it in the first place, it's isolating not having it around.

What I'm saying is: I miss the rock. The hearing damage, the alcohol, the one-in-five bands that make it worth it to sit through the other four, not being the token tattooed guy in the seminar room, I miss these things.

I like to think that one of the things that will change when we get on to the next phase (T-Minus 1.5 years? Maybe?) is that we'll be able to get back into it. I'm fine with being the 30-something sitting at the bar listening to the band and being conspicuously old.

5 comments:

pulpshopgirl said...

True dat. I miss the rock too. I still rock out, don't get me wrong but it's a different sort of rock in a much smaller group. We went to a sweaty dance show put on by the awesome 'Simian Mobile Disco' the other night and I was forced to ask myself if there will ever be a day when I become too old to rock in such a fashion. It's a frightening thought.

kungfuramone said...

You?! Such a thing would not, will not, COULD not happen. My young friend.

Besides, I like the mental image of all of my homies dancing at shows in our 40s. It would be like oldies to the sweatin'.

Chrissy said...

Dude,
At 30-something you will be the guy at the bar being conspicuously BAD ASS! Its the type of thing that does not go away with age. (See: Johnny Cash, HST, Bukowski, Clint Eastwood, Harvey Keitel, etc.)

clumsygirl said...

I love the ptown usual Friday night outings, as it reminds me that I am not an old moldy teacher... and I can still rock.

Unknown said...

Post-hipsterism is tough.
I feel for you. Maybe Portland will return to Ska now that Hipster is dead!
M. Mouse will return to raping in LA?
Frank Black to leave Eugene?
Oh no---what about the Alberta?
What are we to do?