4.22.2008

Like Pulling Teeth

A brief comparison:
  • In the private sector, i.e., a "normal job," whether or not you actually get anything done at work is secondary to your presence at the workplace. As anyone who has worked at an office job knows, you can easily kill nine hours in your cube futzing around online and bullshitting with your co-workers, so long as your boss isn't there looking over your shoulder. The downside, of course, is that you actually have to be there.
  • In academia, i.e., an "abnormal job," you don't have to be anywhere most of the time; you can spend up to four or five days a week sitting at home in your PJs if you're into it. There is no boss to look over your shoulder, either. The downside is that you only accomplish as much as you actually produce, up to and including the original scholarship that your whole meager career is ostensibly based on. It's a particularly nasty case of the "there's no point in cheating at solitaire" phenomenon.
I bring this up because I do not want to do another goddamn commodities in world history website. But I have to, and on COTTON at that. My first one, on coffee, at least had the virtue of being about something I'm deeply interested in. Not so with cotton; sure, it's great, it's soft, it brought underwear into the mainstream back in the eighteenth century, but its history is really, really bloody boring.

6 comments:

clumsygirl said...

hmmm... something vague:
I seem to recall reading someone's theory that because of the availability of cheap cotton (ragpickers buying/selling used cotton clothing) to create paper pulp, reading was brought to populace more readily.

very vague and insubstantial memories that are intriguing to me, none the less.

Rachel said...

i'm deeply, deeply sorry.

You have my sincerest sympathies.

Excuse me while I go back to futzing around on my computer. :)

kungfuramone said...

C: yeah, it's part of the whole growth of literacy / growth of the so-called public sphere thing in the eighteenth century.

R: yeah, get back to work! Er, or, get back to pooping around on the internet. Either way.

thetravellor said...

this is a little late, but as clumsygirl said, I'll be in London from May 19th to Aug 5th working for a bigass law firm, so if you feel like coming to the UK for a pint, let me know.

Elizabeth M. said...

Maybe you could spice it up and talk about energy regimes. :)

hardcori said...

there aren't any "Cotton wars of such and such a year" or Cotton Undies scandals" to spice up the history of cotton?