3.29.2008

Things What I Like, Day 8: Passing Tests

I passed my freakin' Italian exam! Huzzah! What a bloody relief! There's a chance that it was the last test I'll ever have to take, depending on what I do when I grow up, so that's pretty sweet.

I've always been one of those freaks of nature who kind of likes tests, in a truly sick, perverse kind of way, but there was nothing about this one that I liked. The prof who ran it is a wonderful, sympathetic lady, but I was reaching all the way down for every cognate (in English and French) and every dirty grammatical trick I could think of to get through it. Praise be to Allah. It's over and done.

It reminds me of one of my real crossroads moments back in Portland, when I failed the CCNA exam. As far as I can remember, that's the only test I've ever completely bombed. Because I bombed it, I grew increasingly disillusioned with being in IT (a feeling exacerbated by hating being oncall as much as I did), and when B started talking about grad school, I was all for it. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if I'd passed that stupid test.

Anyway, who fucking cares. Now I get to just plow through a few more months of books and papers before the QE, all of them in languages I can kind of read.

9 comments:

clumsygirl said...

Congratulations! Possibly, the last test ever? That's fantastic. If you miss testing, we can always whip some kind of psuedo test for you... just to make you feel at home.

Adva Ahava said...

Congratulations! That much be a HUGE relief.

the rambler said...

Yay! Congrats & hope you are having some good beer or wine to celebrate!

Rachel said...

congratulations!!! I don't even want to think about learning a new language at this point. I think I'm saturated! especially Italian... reminds me of Italians... ;) that must be such a relief. :)

Dolce Vita said...

Congrats!

(SO QE's don't feel like exams?)

Trust in Steel said...

Another bureaucratic hoop down, only a few more to go until you slay the evil creature for good! Congrats!

Leah said...

Molto Bene! Congratulazioni! And that is just about the extent of my two terms of Italian. I can't even get one foreign language down, so extra kudos for getting two! Good luck with comps/QEs.

noncoupable said...

Congrats!! What a relief that must be. :)

PS IT tests are lame. In real life they are even more useless than other exams because everyone knows IT people just use googlesearch to fix 99% of problems anyways.

Cabiria said...

Bravissimo! An end to testing is deserving of lots of celebration.