3.25.2008

Things What I Like, Day 6: The Interweb

...yes, an uninspired topic, but it's been several days since an update and I'm low on ideas at the moment.
  • I still encourage everyone to have a blog. How am I to keep up with your goings-on if you don't have one? You have goings-on! I must know about them!
  • I am not the e-mail correspondent I once was. I vaguely intend to turn that around sometime soon.
  • IM'ing is more complicated. When you have an office job, you're in a good spot for IM'ing, since it looks like you're working when you're sitting there, diligently tapping away at your keyboard. The problem is, when I'm in front of the computer I'm usually supposed to be actually working on my endless pile of would-be scholarship.
  • How...how did we used to do things like know information, and, pay bills, and look at our apartment buildings from space? How?
  • The privacy issues: just create a persona and never use your real name or where you live. And try to overwhelm google by having too much information out there for it to be convenient to look you up. And discourse your friends from putting pictures of you online with a caption that's like "Tim Smith doing a keg stand naked while on meth," because you will never get a job.
  • Some day I hope that all documents in every archive will be scanned and put online, making it possible to do history research from home, just like those lit kids get to. Archives. Blegh.
"My friends are gonna be there too...I'm on the highway to hell...." (good timing on the mix CD.)

Happy spring break to those of you who get one!

2 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

I love the interweb too. In fact, most of my existence is intertwined with it. (I am about to achieve cyborg status!) I can do a ton of my research on-line. I can't decide if this is good or not because the rest of my work day is consumed by tapping away at my documents. And then, of course, I have all this wonderful social interaction with people who no longer live anywhere near me. On second though, maybe I love/hate the interweb....

noncoupable said...

I wonder all the time how it was possible I or anyone lived for so long without the interweb. I vaguely remember writing letters from France to friends back in the states and waiting weeks to hear responses, mostly because long distance phone calls on land lines cost too damned much. What would I do now without Skype and e-mail? Which also makes me wonder, how did people maintain long distance relationships and keep phone bills down (or did they) before the interweb? It would be an interesting study to see how many relationships exist only because of the interweb.

Back to Chinese characters. Bleh. Which makes me think: if it weren't for the interweb, I wouldn't have been able to download this nifty dictionary on the palm then I would have to painstakingly look up every word in a real dictionary (in Chinese this requires counting strokes on the left, than on the right, then looking up the pinyin equivalent, e.g. 30 mins of homework lookup turns into 2-3 hours... I love palm!!).